Friday 23 December 2011

Merry "Wot"mas

Am I the only one that has a disliking for this tasteless Christmas expression:


I know the celebrations at this time of year are in memory of  a bloke who was nailed to a cross, more than two thousand years ago, but is marking the celebrations of his torture with an "X" really appropriate? Whether you are a follower of Christianity, a  non-believer or just a not so mercenary banker, me finks the chap deserves a little more respect, especially since the Jesus legacy gives most people a couple of days paid time off work.

So whatever you have planned for the X-marking memory of Christ's torture, I hope you have a kissey, rather than a crossey-mas yuletide with your nearest and dearest.   



5 comments:

  1. The X doesn't represent a cross. If it was supposed to be a cross like Christ was crucified on, it would be shaped as a T ("Merry Tmas") or just I, as they didn't necessarily provide a spar.

    The X is from the Greek, Χριστος being Greek for "Christ".

    X (chi) substitutes for Christ, -mas is Old English for celebration. Thus, Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dislike X-mas for no other reason than it's just plain lazy. No matter. Merry Christmas, Pard. Keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Perry. I'm glad there's a real reason the word is shortened, but me finks the explanation will pop the eyeballs of people I know who generally use it.

    I'm doing ma best, Valance...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too thought the X was just lazy, or so it fitted better on posters and the like. Thanks for the explanation, Perry (wonder how many of the people using the shortened version know the reason for it)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup... Marketing and texting seems to have increased the usage of this spelling as an everyday expression.

    ReplyDelete